Curly hair is not a single category. In fact, determining your curl type might be quite difficult.
There are various curl types, ranging from 2a to 4c, and each has its own set of distinct features and traits.
If you have type 4 hair, you know that it can be a bit of a challenge to take care of it. The good news is that there are products specifically designed for coily hair!
In this blog post, we will discuss the characteristics of type 4 hair, tips for maintaining healthy hair, and how to use our Bounce Curl Coily Complete Styling Kit.
What is Coily Hair and Why Does it Need its Own Type of Care?
According to NaturallyCurly's Curly Type system, type 4 hair is also known as coily.
However, there can be some overlap with curl type chart systems and it can be subjective to individual interpretation. For example, Type 4 hair is often called both kinky and coily.
Coily hair can be fine, thin, wiry, and coarse, with densely packed coils. Coily hair is also the driest of all the curl types.
The top issues for most people with coily hair are maintaining moisture, avoiding tangles, and counteracting shrinkage.
That's why it is important to use products specifically designed for coily hair.
The Best Way to Take Care of Coily Hair
There are a few key things that you can do to take care of your coils:
- Moisture is key. You want to use a shampoo and conditioner with moisturizing properties.
- To boost protection from the elements, use a creamy humectant as a leave-in conditioner.
- Coily hair is better able to withstand heavier creams, oils, and butter. Use thicker natural emollients like mango and shea butter.
- Use pre-poo with natural oils, such as coconut oil or grapeseed oil to help retain natural oils in your scalp.
- Look for oils that not only penetrate the hair shaft, but also seal it in.
- Use protective styles. Protective styles are the best way to prevent damage, breakage, and promote healthy hair growth. Try flexi-rods, box braids, or twist-outs.
Styling Coily Hair with the Bounce Curl Coily Complete Styling Kit
There are many ways to style coily hair, but we recommend using our Bouncecurl Coily Complete Styling Kit.
The kit comes with:
- Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
- Super Smooth Cream Conditioner
- Moisture Balance Leave-In Conditioner
- Defining Butta
Here are some tips on how to use the products:
- Shampoo your hair with our Gentle Clarifying Shampoo. This gentle formula will thoroughly cleanse your coils without drying them out while also balancing the hair's moisture level.
- Condition your hair with our Super Smooth Cream Conditioner. For individuals who may be protein sensitive hair, the conditioner is protein-free. Our conditioner will lightly hydrate and moisturize your hair. It contains 20 plant extracts and a natural oil system. It also has great slip which makes detangling hair a breeze!
- Apply our Moisture Balance Leave-In Conditioner to wet hair after you shampoo and condition it. This leave-in conditioner is perfect for adding an extra layer of moisture to your strands, but without weighing down your hair.
- The Defining Butta is made specifically with Type 4 hair in mind. It is enriched with Murumuru butter, Shea butter, Baobab oil, and Castor seed oil known to nourish hair, create softness, and seal in moisture. This product has the highest level of moisture out of all the products we formulate.
Tips for Maintaining Healthy, Happy Coils
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Coily hair needs a lot of moisture to look and feel its best.
- Avoid using too many sulfates in your shampoo and conditioner.
- Use a deep conditioner with indirect heat at least once a week or as needed.
- Be extra gentle when detangling your hair. Use your fingers or whatever favorite detangling brush/comb with a conditioner to help the detangling process. You can also try detangling with hair oils prior to washing your hair to remove stubborn knots.
- Be patient! When it comes to dealing with type 4 hair, gentle handling and little manipulation are always crucial. The natural texture of your hair makes it susceptible to damage and should be handled with care because each bend in your coils is an opportunity for breakage.
- Avoid over-shampooing your hair, even when using sulfate-free options. A good alternative is a co-wash, which allows for gentler cleansing without drying your coils out.
Thanks for reading! We hope this article was helpful in understanding coily hair and how to best take care of it.
After about two weeks of using your product for coily hair, I’ve already noticed positive changes, my hair is more manageable and easier to comb. I used to suffer from eczema on my scalp, especially when I was using relaxers and other products. I no longer have a problem with eczema now that I’ve only been using your product. Thank for your wonderful hair and skin care line.