Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought, "Wow, my hair is so curly, I wish I could bottle it and keep it that way forever." No? Just me then?
Well either way, here are a few tips on how to take care of your curly locks!
First of all, embrace it! If you have naturally curly hair, congratulations-you're blessed!
Second of all, find good quality haircare products specific for curly hair. We’ll talk more about that later.
One of the most common misconceptions about curly hair is that it “just” needs to be washed and styled.
On the contrary, curly hair care requires a lot more than that to maintain its natural texture and look.
This blog post will help you learn how to take care of your curls so they can always look their best!
Curly Hair Characteristics
- The natural texture of curly hair can vary from person to person.
- Curly hair is more uniform and can range from loose ringlets to tight spirals or spiral-shaped corkscrew.
- Has more shrinkage than type 2 hair.
- It has a tendency to be dry and frizzy.
- Hair tangles easily.
- Curly hair is more prone to damage.
- Curly hair is often more voluminous and springy than other types of hair.
Hair, whether long or short, red or blonde, comes in a variety of shapes and lengths with its own set of best care practices.
However, curly hair has its own unique challenges, ranging from non-stop frizz to varying curl intensities that fluctuate like the weather.
One challenge for type three curly hair is that it is susceptible to more damage than other curl types.
For the tighter end of the curly hair spectrum, the tight spirals can easily knot and tangle, which can lead to breakage if not properly taken care of.
Everyday wear and tear are the most common cause of hair breakage. In other words, every time you vigorously brush your hair, blow-dry on high heat, and style your hair (tight hairstyles), it can get damaged.
Treat your hair like a delicate silk scarf and you will be rewarded with healthy curls.
Curly hair is prone to frizz, but any hair type can get frizzy. Frizz is caused by the cuticle layer of the hair raising, which allows moisture from the hair to enter and swell the hair strands.
The good news is that there are ways to help lessen the frizz.
Using the right products for your curl type is important. However, it's best to learn about hair porosity first which can aid in choosing the right products for your hair.
Other variables to consider
Porosity is simply your hair’s level of ability to retain moisture. There are three porosity levels: low, medium, and high. The ends of the spectrum each have their own set of problems with absorbing or retaining moisture.
Hair width and density are also factors to consider when choosing products. For example, a person with low porosity hair should avoid layering on too much product because they absorb products slowly. These traits are good to know because they will help aid in styling.
The bottom line is that you need to consider several variables to understand your curls, and all require trial and error in product selections, styling, etc.
- Use a quality shampoo and conditioner specifically for curly hair. A quality shampoo and conditioner will add moisture to your hair, leaving your curls hydrated.
- Tangles or single/multi-strand knots are common for the tighter texture end of the curly hair spectrum. Opt for a light oil on your ends to help with knots and tangles.
- Be gentle when detangling hair. Apply a dollop of conditioner to the area to help your comb or fingers glide smoothly.
- When the outer cuticle layer is roughed up and clings to its neighboring fibers, tangles form. Chemical processes and everyday wear and tear are tough on the cuticle. Using a deep conditioner or protein treatment will help smooth down the cuticles, keep hair strong, and prevent breakage.
- The natural oils from the scalp don't travel down the hair shaft as easily, so curly hair is more prone to dryness. Deep condition every week (or as needed) to help restore hair’s moisture levels, improve hair elasticity, and reduce breakage.
- Your hair type and porosity play a part in how you layer your products, so pay attention to the results your routine produces. You can use a leave-in conditioner and gel, or leave-in conditioner, curl cream, and gel. Play around with what works best for you.
- Apply products to soaking wet hair. This will help the products to penetrate the hair shaft and soak in all that goodness.
-Depending on your specific texture, air dry whenever possible, and use a diffuser if needed.
Bounce Curl Wavy Curly Define Complete Kit
The kit includes:
- Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
- Super Smooth Cream Conditioner
- Avocado & Rose Oil Clump & Define Cream
- Light Hold Creme Gel
The Gentle Clarifying Shampoo is just what it suggests - gentle, which means it will not dry out your hair. If you have a lot of product build-up, we recommend using a little bit of an apple cider vinegar mixture before using the shampoo. This will ensure you are receiving maximum benefits from our products.
- Apple cider vinegar recipe: Mix 1 cup ACV + 3 cups water.
- Shampoo hair.
- Rinse, and apply the mixture for 13 min.
- Rinse again.
- Then, condition.
- Proceed with Bounce Curl styling products.
The Super Smooth Cream Conditioner is a must for those with dry and or course, and curly hair. It will help to detangle your hair while providing maximum hydration. The first ingredient is organic aloe, which will help to soothe your scalp and add moisture to your hair.
The Avocado & Rose Oil Clump & Define Cream is super concentrated, so a little goes a long way. It will help to define your curls while providing frizz control.
Pair the Clump & Define Cream with our amazing Light Hold Creme Gel for extra hold and frizz control.
The Bounce Curl Wavy Curly Define Complete Kit includes everything you need to achieve beautiful, healthy curls. Our products are free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, DEA/MEA, Propylene Glycol, Formaldehydes, Phthalates, and Animal Testing. It is also safe for color treated hair.
In conclusion, knowing your hair type and porosity is essential when it comes to finding the best curly hair care products. Play around with different combinations to find what works best for you. And, don't forget to deep condition your hair as needed!
We hope this article was helpful and that you find the perfect Bounce Curl kit to help you achieve your best curls yet!
We hope you enjoy our kit!